Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Friedrich Nietzsche - Beyond Good and Evil

"Strange as it may seem, I'm tired of liking every book I read and agreeing with the content, so I decided to read something I am sure to hate. Who better than Nietzsche, the notoriously bigoted, misogynistic elitist? So far, I am not disappointed. I hate this man.

Ok... I got more than I bargained for. I absolutely hated this book, so much so, that I didn't even finish it (which is rare for me). Don't bother... unless you want to be thoroughly confused, annoyed and appalled. Then by all means, read away. If so, would you like my copy? I will pay you to take it away."


"Throughout this book there are odd punctuation marks – perhaps the cause of the sentences never seeming to come to an end. Anyway, one of these marks is : - and it seemed a bit out of place, but also made me think of smileys or emotes or whatever these hideous things are called ':-)' Except in this case they looked like little penises scattered throughout the text. After a while I couldn’t help feel this was quite appropriate."


"Nietzsche is German, and considered an existentialist- two of my favorite characteristics of a writer- so I thought that he would be interesting by default. But I was wrong. This book is overly verbose and quite hard to get through; most of his sentences are a paragraph long and by the time you've gotten to the point you've forgotten what he was talking about. I gave up several chapters in because I had no idea what he was talking about and what the general feel of the book was... all I knew was that I was confused. And bored."


"I'm generally pretty good at dismissing all the sexist stuff you find in older books, because you know, such was the style of the time to think of women as less than equal. Fine. I get that, but this book actually has a section about the inferiority of women with adages like, 'Black dress, white pearls, and a silent mouth is the best outfit for a woman.' Ok, in a lot of cases that's true, but you don't have to write about it! Dang."


"Get ready to vomit
I can't read this. I did read this. This is what it turned me into. I'm paralyzed, anxious, depressed. I don't know what to do."


"This book is not without merit. I found it helpful to see where many of Ayn Rand's ideas come from. For example, § 265 is an almost ad verbatim description of Ayn Rand's concept of egotism. Although she distanced herself from some of his ideas (see the Ayn Rand Lexicon for an in-depth discussion), she did maintain a love for his deal about the noble soul having reverence for itself. (See Fountain head, p. x)."


"He also used this book to self-aggrandize his paltry verses, or what some may call 'poetry'. Obviously, I was terribly unimpressed."

(HIS POETRY IS BAD BUT YOU'RE STILL A MORON)


"If I could give this book less than one star, I would. It was a required text for my philosophy class and I absolutely hated it. If you type some of the sentences in to Microsoft Word, you will prompted that what you have typed contains 'wordiness'."


"Froderick does more than argue against these traits. He clearly associates them with women, while he discounts them. Not that you big dumb brutes need any more rationalization for subjugating women. It's too bad there's no such thing as reincarnation, 'cause I'd love to see Frayderick reborn as a woman. Then maybe he'd see things in a new way.

The cerebral cortex is just a place to reason away all the lusty things that come in the lower mind. But of course Frederick didn't know that, because he didn't much care for science, and was too busy justifying his hatred of Jews, Christians, and women.

I realize I'm probably horning in on some mutual admiration society developing about this particular site. So go ahead and zap me a negative feedback. I absolutely don't care. This one woman's opinion remains, like a mentrual stain, on your perfect little page.

How's that for 'Finery'?"


"Nietzsche is very mean and not nice to Jesus and to Christians also. My pastor said it is important to love Jesus and to let poeple know when Jesus is being made fun of."

No comments:

Post a Comment