Friday, April 22, 2011

Lewis Carroll - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland II

"Tripping much?"


"I don't know what Carroll was smoking when he wrote this book, but it was a little too trippy for me."


"Um.....yeah....I never knew how weird this book was!!! Thank goodness I had seen the cartoon so that I could make some sense of it all! Overall, very confusing...was Lewis Caroll high when he wrote this??"


"I have the sneaking suspicion that Lewis Carroll wrote this book while intoxicated by illegal substances."


"Most of the characters in the great 'wonderland' were either cruel, mean or contrary (or didn't make any sense). I would not have a child read this either. It's probably written for ages 5-7, but the dialogue doesn't make much sense, and with the constant threats of 'beheading' and other such scenes, I recommend that no child read it!"


"The things that I liked about this book were that there was so much imagery, even though the plot of the book is pointless. I always wondered what the actual book was like because I had never read the book but I realized I wasn't missing much."


"Having only seen the Disney film as a child I decided to read this through the 'Classics' app on my iPhone. It's pure nonsense, of course, and one wonders what Carroll was smoking when he sat down to write this."


"Maybe the argument is that it's pure whimsy (shouldn't whimsy be more fun?). Or that it's Lewis Carroll on a drug trip (this gets my vote)."


"I finally decided to read this classic tale after seeing the recent Tim Burton movie version. I've always been familiar with the names and characters, with the 'tea party' and the Queen of Hearts, but I'd never really known the story... Was it really about a girl hero who kills the jabberwoky yet has never been acknowledged as such in contemporary feminism?"


"I had to skim most of the poetry and stories within the story."


"I found this one on the shelf at a B&N and was really intrigued by the gothic fantasy art style so I figured it's about time I found our who this Alice chick was and how many drugs did she take. I feel better having read it but, for the life of me, I have no idea why this story is such a classic. Didn't enjoy it all.

The story boils down to Alice falling into some tripped out LSD world and going from random character to character and having a prissy English conversation that makes no sense. Alot much of the dialogue was tongue in cheek banter and never really roped me in. Also, this is probably a result of me reading so much YA, but I felt like her reactions to the events as they unfolded were just too unrealistic."


"I read this book to my kids. It was an illustrated classics version. Even with the pictures I was HIGHLY bored! ... What is the deal? I guess Carroll just had a fabulous imagination for his day. His poetry is admirable, but again, not my favorite. I'm pretty sure he would be a fun guy to hang out with, but also fairly certain that the rumors of Carroll having been involved in heavy drug use were probably correct. It's in the same category as Sponge Bob for me. My kids love it, I don't. Enough said :)"


"After I finished reading Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, I honestly was surprised that the book was actually subjected to children. For me, the book was somehow a tad confusing. It is like the book was written in English words that speak no English. I also failed to bond emotionally with the book as it is too random and contains too much nonsense that doesn’t click with my senses (I am 99 percent sure that Dodgson was high on weed when he wrote this)."


"I didn't know this book was supposed to be a 'nonsense' story until I was about halfway through it and decided on a whim to look up facts about it on the internet, so when I heard a few months ago that Lewis Carroll had supposedly made up this story 'on the spot' to entertain a group of little kids, I thought it had to be a total BS urban legend type of thing. How could somebody make up a creative and complicated classic without sitting down to think about it all? By the time I reached the halfway point, all of my doubts on this 'legend' completely disappeared. This book is so random and weird and purposeless that it would actually be pretty sad if the author had sat down Rowling-style to come up with the stuff inside it."


"I read this one with my two kids--ages 4 and 7--a couple of chapters in I remembered how much I hated this book when I read it on my own several years ago. Sorry, people, it's confusing and a complete mess. Kids will barely get what's going on. I'm not exactly sure how this one has lasted so long as something held up as classic literature. Not my thing."


"This book is definitely *not* my cup of tea. I enjoyed the wikipedia entry about the book more than the book itself. It noted that the book is classified as 'nonsense literature,' and I cannot agree more. The book is utter nonsense."


"I fail to understand how it gained in popularity with anyone other than those on hallucinogens."


"I did appreciate the allusions to drugs and other not so good things. But really, 'and then she woke up' right when there was conflict that needed to be resolved? Cheap, very cheap. Did Carroll run out of LSD and that's what he came up with sober? I read something saying he wasn't actually on drugs and that the story is an intricate weaving of logic puzzles and puns. He may have been brilliant but that doesn't make the story any more enjoyable, I daresay it makes it less so."


"Surprisingly I've never read 'Alice in Wonderland' as a child. I'm glad I hadn't. I felt like the story was written for adults. The language was very mature and none of the characters likable. In fact I would say that the majority of them were written rather rudely. Reading it I felt like I was going through a bad trip; the author must have been high when he'd written it! On the plus side, the drawings were done well. But they're scary too, and not for kids."

HEY IDIOTS. DON'T KNOW IF YOU'VE NOTICED THIS BUT KIDS FUCKING LOVE BEING SCARED. HAVE YOU EVER TOLD A KID A SCARY STORY? THEY LIVE FOR THAT SHIT. HAVE YOU EVER GIVEN A KID SOME BOOK OF SCARY OLD-TIMEY ILLUSTRATIONS? THEY WILL NEVER, EVER IN THEIR LIVES FORGET THEM. HAVE YOU EVER BROKEN INTO A CHILD'S ROOM AND HID IN THE CLOSET UNTIL THE PARENTS ARE ASLEEP AND THEN MADE A SORT OF VERY QUIET GUTTURAL HISSING NOISE SO THAT THEY WAIT WHAT

No comments:

Post a Comment