Thursday, December 22, 2011

Charles Dickens - A Christmas Carol

"I don't think anyone but the kind of English scholars who take perverse pleasure in claiming to love the sort of dense boring drek other people can barely plow though would ever read him ... It's just a shame he spent so much of his career being paid by the word rather then creating real art."


"Dickens was useful once. He is history now, not literature. The cartoon movie tells it all."


"Charles Dickens is a crap author. Over the course of his career he wrote books based on the length of them hence the reason he used such long winded descriptions in his books. If Dickens never existed the world would be a better place. He was his time Clancy, Grisham, Nora Roberts, Danielle Steele, etc...."


"This book is not a good one to read to kids. My personal opinion is that I don't want to talk or read about ghosts for 'the fun of it' to my young children."


"It was a slow-paced, overly-dark, somewhat hard to understand train wreck."


"The book's only ten dollars because they had to reduce the price because no one would buy it."


"I do not like this book. Really, I think that it is absolutely horrible -- Horribly written, horribly plotted out, and all together just not a good book. The main character wasn't likeable at all."


"If Hitler had said he was sorry for killing the Jews, and then gave everyone a goose, it doesn't make things right."


"Hard and boaring"


"I can see what he was trying to do and it maybe worked at the time, but it just doesn't translate to modern life"


"I probably of would enjoyed it if I was reading it back in the day."


"I am now convinced that charles was a pathetic writer."


"Dickens is the Steven Spielberg of his day, wildly popular and very much a panderer to the masses; in short, for each of them art is a cheap whore, it is not the supreme drive of human spirit. Like Spielberg the director, Dickens the narrator can't get out of the way of the story, he just can't let the story tell itself. No, like Spielberg he must constantly intrude and go for the cheap laugh or thrill and say 'Hey, I'm Dickens, I'm the writer, look at me I'm writing this little bit of ego driven narrative editorial'. A classic example of Dickens as bad writer is that he will give you a symbol (overplayed and obvious of course, it is Dickens after all) and then he will tell you what his obvious symbol meant because you the reader cannot be trusted to understand Dickens the writer. I will say what needs to be said: Dickens is a really bad writer, he has a great imagination, but he sucks as a writer. And he has killed many a young student's desire to read."


"I would not recommend this book to anyone and would give it only two stars. In my opinion, the movies where much better then this book. This book is way to descriptive. I like more action in my books and less meaningless descriptive words. Don't get me wrong, I love some descriptive words, but too much is too much."


"Hard to understand the words and writting because it's written in the 'olden days'."

No comments:

Post a Comment