Thursday, March 22, 2012

Emily Bronte - Wuthering Heights VI

"I didn't expect much from this book. Really, I didn't. The jacket blurb is stupid; any book that claims to be 'a pinnacle of literature' but also discusses 'wreaking revenge' is not going to be especially good. But I was unpleasantly shocked to discover what an unforgivable travesty of a novel 'Wuthering Heights' actually is.
...
He gets sick, lies in bed moaning and, to shut him up and to listen to her own voice, the housekeeper (Ellen or Nelly or whatever) starts telling him about the events of twenty years ago which took place in the nearby house. (Heathcliff House? Melodrama Manor? Can't remember that either.)"


"This book is unworthy of my time."


"These kinds of novels are not my cup of tea. I do not like tea anyway.
I prefer novels which are related to reality"


"not uplifting and has no point."


"I'm not a Bronte fan. I think they are terrible writers and in this case, there isnt a single redeamable character in this perposterously long book. The story has potential but she is too bad a writer with zero feeling. I suffered through it. I literally willed myself to continue with this book."


"There are two stylistic aspects of the book that I do not care for. One is to use two different narrators to tell the story rather than the God narrator device that modern authors use."


"Urgh!
Urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Urgh! Urgh! Urgh! Urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Urghhhhh! Urghhhhhh!, Urgh!. Urgh! Urgh! Urgh!, Urgh! Urgh! Urghhhhhhh! Urhhhhhhh! Urghhhhhhhh! Urghhhhhhhhhhh! Urgh, urgh, urgh!"


"Much of the interaction between the characters is abusive, both verbally and physically. There is also animal cruelty, and most of the characters die off at an early age."


"Who on earth would think of cruelty to animals as romantic? I think this book would get vastly different reviews if it was a modern novel, and not considered as 'literature'"


"Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My stupid teacher made me read this horrible book . To all future teachers considering making this book required reading: well, don't do it! My teacher has made the list. The list of death that is, ha ha ha haaaa."

1 comment:

  1. Aw she's not that bad. Granted, her book is really depressing but don't you think her ability to induce such depression is an art in itself?
    I love her descriptions and writing really shows her wild, free-spirited nature.
    You don't like any of the Brontes? None?

    ReplyDelete