Thursday, July 12, 2012

Tolstoy - Anna Karenina II

"Almost every night, my husband comes to bed and finds me passed out with a book open and my glasses still on my face. He gently removes the glasses, pulls the book away and sets them both on the nightstand. Last night, he picks up Anna Karenina and the following conversation ensues:
Him - 'That's a big book! Have you really read 500 pages?'
I reply in a sleepy voice, 'yeah. it sucks.'
Him - 'It looks boring as fuck.'
Me - sleepy giggle
He says, 'It looks like some romance/wuthering heights bullshit. You, know, 'stuffy.' In his best uppity Victorian voice, says, 'Anna gets banged in the garden by some honeysuckle.'
Me - cracking up
Him - 'Who wrote that?'
Me - 'Tolstoy'
Together, at the same time, we say, 'War and Peace'
Him - 'Dude is obviously one long-winded motherfucker!'
Me - laughing hysterically. (he has made a valid point!)"


"Sorry Leo. This book is one big FAIL for me."


"I choose this book for two reasons 1) It was on the list of greatest books ever written and 2) Miley Cyrus's character was reading it in the last song"


"UH, WHY DO I READ THESE BOOKS ABOUT ADULTROUS WOMEN WHO COMMIT SUICIDE? THEY'RE AWEFUL AND THEY DON'T END THERE, WE HAVE TO CONTINUE READING ABOUT THE AFTER MATH!"


"unimpressed with the entails of 'high society' and all their fornications."


"No matter how many times I try to read this (3x to this date)and no matter how many notes I take as I read, I still can't get beyond the first 50 pages.Does this make me a failure as an English Lit. major?"

AS AN ENGLISH LIT MAJOR YOU ARE AUTOMATICALLY A FAILURE


"Jesus Christ... what a fucking challenge of a book. It was the Russian equivalent of Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility or Pride And Prejudice. I've not read either but I imagine this is that I would expect it to be like."


"I'm not enjoying the idea of a young man flirting with a married woman or vice versa."


"The story sows seeds of distrust, resentment, and despair. I recommend NOT reading this book."


"Pure Torture. Make the Gitmo prisoners read this, and THEN they'd have a real case for torture..."


"Tolstoy was obviously privileged and was paid by the word."


"NEVER TO TRUST A BETRAYAL WIFE"

No comments:

Post a Comment