Thursday, January 10, 2013

Charlotte Bronte - Jane Eyre IV

"No one cares about the romantic struggles of a fake character. This is basically the chick flick of books. I honestly believe this is the worst book I've ever read. I encourage everyone with a Y chromosome to stay as far away from this book as possible."


"I do not understand why high schools make people read these types of books. Nobody wants to read the book because it is not interesting to a teenager. Yeah, maybe it's a classic, but give us something interesting to read! The book is written in like old English, so I feel that when I'm done reading I have an accent when I speak! So basically if you have to ready this book, I'm so sorry because it is the worst book I have ever read!"


"This book stinks. Who writes this stuff? Come on, who cares about the 1800's, much less the stale, stifled personalities in them?"


"I have a couple thoughts -- Mr. Rochester is soo old and he proposed to Jane. There is a 20 year age difference and that is just really, really weird to me!!! I don't think I would/could marry someone who was over 50...SERIOUSLY! Second thought -- his engagement/proposal came out of NOWHERE. Granted they spent time together talking, but it was strange to me. VERY STRANGE. I only have 160 more pages to go...and too be honest, this is the FIRST book that I've ever had a mental countdown 'til the end...SERIOUSLY! I will be thrilled when this is over with and I can go about my normal business of not reading this!!!"


"If you sent JANE EYRE to a publisher today, the response would be, in fancy wording, 'Um, sorry, this is too long and too weird. Boring. Sorry, please try again.' I'm 13,"


"I’ve attempted reading Jane Eyre before, but got stuck in the middle of it. I don’t know if is the length or the abundance of 'big words,' but I stopped in the middle and left it sitting on the shelf. I laugh as I say this because as a teacher, I’m always working to get my students to read harder material and books that seem 'long and have big words' in them. This time I finally managed to finish the book, but it took some strong will power and the ability to listen to it at times on my iPod that got me through it."


"Moudly Sausages
We all know the story of Jane Eyre, don't we? Well speaking as a member of the modern generation I would like to answer on behalf of todays youth with a resounding 'no'. This is a story that will slip through the fingers of the vast majority of our younger generations.

Jane Eyre, serves greatly to accentuate the difference between the love of yester-year v's love of our generation. It seems 'love', used to be established by a gentlemen expressing an interest in a (very, very) young girl, if she's remotely interested (which they usually are as the soul intention in life seems to be marriage) they quickly become engaged, then wed despite barely knowing each other. If a 19 year old in this day acted as rashly as Jane Eyre by marrying a 35 year old her mother would have a blue fit and her mates would call her desperate.

How time changes things.

This book should help us celebrate the evolution of maturity of our generation in being more picky in mate selection who take their time to get to know each other before rushing headlong into a marriage with the first Tom, Dick or Harry that shows a bit of interest. If only Mr Rochester had taken a bit of time to start with, he wouldn't have married the original lunatic (I mean how could he not notice she was mad!??!)"


"Stephen was stoned in the Bible and if he endured that--I can read this book."


"Distrubingly poor
The best analogy one can practically adopt in examining Jane Eyre is one of a hollow golden egg shell. The extensive, albeit predominantly feminist 'hype' surrounding this book persuaded me to try it out. However, I found myself drowning in a continual tirade of saturated and self-righteous drivel from Miss Eyre. Bronte even has the audacity to present her morally obnoxious heroine as a 'prodical daughter.' Quite frankly this book owes more to the imagery of Pilgrim's Progress than it does to the pen of Bronte."


"This novel is not as it appears to be. English teachers may praise it, your girlfriends may gush over Rochester, and others 'critically acclaim' it but I have studied it as a piece of literature as well as an entertaining classic. It is not as fabulous as they say ... I can understand that some people love this kind of stuff but there are types of people who hate 'Jane Eyre' - they're usually into contemporary novels, ask for their heroes or heroine to yearn for something more than love and for somebody to love them, and need metaphors that are more subtle that freakin' splittin' oak trees."

No comments:

Post a Comment