Friday, March 15, 2013

Homer - The Odyssey V

"Boring. Not impressed."


"I don’t get it. It is literally one long ass poem. Hellpppp."


"I just had to read this for my lit class and it wasn't bad, but I felt like I was reading an older, less interesting adult version of Percy Jackson."


"The first part of the book lost me completely because it had nothing to do with Odysseus. I did not understand why in the world would they do that. In addition in the middle of the book they were talking about how his ship wrecked and how he was the only one left alive, that confused me even more. I think that it should have been put in a better chronological order. The Odyssey should have been told as a story, rather then being jumped around from one point of the story to the other."


"These Greek epithets are getting ridiculous. 'Hebe of the slim ankles'. Fucking come on."


"You know what I just realized
The Iliad and the Odyssey were basically religious fanfictions
And they got such a large following that it became canon
So basically
Homer is the founding father of fanfiction"


"This book is absolutely atrocious. Many literary geniuses would strongly disagree; but they're stupid and have never actually finished the book, NO ONE has ever finished it ever ever in the history of the world. This book sucks."


"Does it make me a bad English major if I don't particularly like The Odyssey?

At some level, I don't feel like I can honestly review a poem that's thousands of years old and far more important than me, but at the same time, I feel a little let down. After reading everything that alludes to it, I think the works that refers to The Odyssey are a lot better."


"Sexism? It was interesting to finally read the full book version, but I was pretty bored. I liked this story when I was little and didn't know any better. Now, well... Moving right along."


"I was expecting more sea monsters. Skip the book and watch the Wishbone version."


"All the values are so wrong! ... How silly! I liked the poem; and the world it transports you to; but I totally disliked the message and the values depicted there. No wonder why those are not ruling the world any more (if they ever did; which I doubt)"

No comments:

Post a Comment