Thursday, August 1, 2013

Fyodor Dostoevsky - Crime and Punishment IV

"If you want to read a MUCH better account of Russia during the revolution, Read 'Anthem' by Ayn Rand."


"Perhaps most interesting to me is the optic into Dostoyevsky's life, surviving in a repressive society, grappling with redefinition of guilt and crime...thought crime."

FYODOR DOSTOEVSKY: DIED 1881, BOLSHEVIK REVOLUTION: OCCURRED 1917 JESUS FUCKING CHRIST I CAN'T BELIEVE MORE THAN ONE PERSON MANAGED TO MAKE THIS MISTAKE


"This was the most boring book I've ever read. I really don't care about a bunch of Russians view on politics and right and wrong because I see all of their views as incorrect to the foundations of our society."


"I could NOT BELIEVE that someone was allowed to WRITE about killing an old woman, and that the writer could imagine what was going on in the killer's mind."


"All the claims lobbed at Dostoyevsky over Tolstoy are mere facade -- they both had the same downfall -- a love of philosophy and a dearth of prose ability. Dostoyevsky the mystic lost his footing whenever he went over 160 pgs."


"I read the whole book (including all of the hard to pronounce names) waiting to see if he would get away with it only to find out he ends up in prison"


"I felt so sorry for the main character (Rolskanikov? sp), I understood what he was going through"


"I want to review this book but I'm too busy killing myself. If you value your free time in any way you will not read this. The main character is a crazy person who never feels remorse for his ridiculous crime of killing two women with an axe and continues to never be an actual person makes this book the worst thing I've ever spent time on."


"This is really not a very good book. It is tortuously slow, the psychology of many of the characters is not persuasive, and I was so glad to finally be finished with the thing. So, if Crime and Punishment was on your bucket list, I give you permission to strike it off without guilt."


"The crime is that it was written, the punishment is having to read it."


"'Crime and Punishment' is a meaningless, maddening maze with no point, no beginning and no end, no purpose, no plot and especially, no prose."


"I was a bit ambivalent about the congruity of the setting/time period ... what about the justice/legal system? Raskolnikov's punishment seemed way too unrealistic"


"I felt that the concept of man exploring his dark side and the effect it has on him is much better explored in today’s media. Today we are more comfortable with the anti-hero in our medium and this in turn allows us to explore it deeper. Take shows like 'Breaking Bad' or books like 'American Psycho' and hundreds of other such material.

This was probably a very daring book in Dostoyevsky’s time, but today, this is one subject, I think we can claim the present to be the golden age for."

No comments:

Post a Comment