Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Shakespeare - Macbeth III

"One of the most horrible books I have had the pleasure to read.

I mean, this is the crap that makes people my age despise reading. People need to learn yesterday's classics can't even match the crappy teen books of today.

Get me some work from Shakespeare that is at least Dean Koontz level, then get back to me when he gets a character at least even with Koontz's Vess."


"I'm not a fan of Shakespeare to begin with, but Macbeth was especially awful in my opinion. All that happened was people died! Macbeth killed person after person. WHERE'S THE PLOT??? WHERE'S THE LOVE STORY??? And Lady Macbeth.. Whew! What a freak! I mean, 'unsex me here'? Who even says that? Something happened to Shakespeare when he wrote this because boy, oh boy... Even Romeo and Juliet was better and it was about these middle-schoolers thinking they were in love! Not to mention the names... I mean, FLEANCE?! It sounds like Fleece! What happened to normal names like Bob or Fred or George?"


"Shakespeare is stupid. You can't even tell what the characters are saying! Plus, he didn't even write all of Macbeth, the lazy bum. He didn't write the part with Hecate. I don't understand why he couldn't talk like a normal person. I also don't get why everyone likes himk so much, he wasn't that great. His plays all have such predictable endings."


"I DON'T SPEAK SHAKESPEARE, ONLY ENGLISH!!!! To be honest it's got a good plot, it's just not portayed well at all. Im pretty sure it took Macbeth two pages to stab Duncan. I'm an ameteur writer myself and when someone in my book gets stabbed, it takes about this much space:'I Stabbed him.' It's not that hard! Francly I think my world would be a lot easier if I didn't have to put up with the crap Shakespeare wrote in schools"


"I'm not the biggest Shakespeare fan...as an English teacher, am I allowed to say that?"


"EGH THE BEGINNING OF THIS BOOK MADE ME WANT TO SNORE AT THE ONSLAUGHT OF WORDS THAT ARE PUT THERE JUST TO BE PUT THERE AND OCEANS OVER OCEANS OF APOSTROPHES SEEMINGLY ABBREVIATING THE WORD UNTIL IT MULTIPLIED INTO MORE WORDS AND WORDS WORDS WORDS EVERYWHERE."


"while not as painful to read as a midsummer whatever or as loathsome as romeo & juliet, there's just nothing here i really appreciate.

which is partly due to saturation. my introduction to literature, in childhood, was primarily characterized by douglas adams, arthur conan doyle & david sedaris, which is a wide variety of authors who employ plenty of the same narrative techniques in their storytelling that shakespeare pioneered. & i've never enjoyed plays much.

so here are some crazy out-of-context complaints i can think of as i write this at three in the morning: clever wordplay is not the same thing as comedy; clunky wordplay is less similar still. poetic language (which is a description i also take issue with, but that's too tied to the time period for even me to seriously complain about) doesn't supplement weak characterization. dramatic sense is a poor substitute for plot. by the same token, well timed contrast is not good structure."


"I just can't understand why Macbertha is so famous? Was the story revolutionary because it was the first of its kind? Okay then let’s say I went hiking (because I go hiking all the fucking time) and discovered a mysterious cave, and in the cave I found the first ever caveman drawings of a bunch of stick figures fucking, equivalent to the drawing ability of a four year old. Would this be considered as famous or revolutionary because it was the first ever drawing? Would it be the most single greatest form of art known to man?

No.

So why should I give a shit about Macbigbertha? Just because something is old doesn't make it good.

ALL the characters speak like they have… problems.
...
Seriously Macbertha, go check yourself into Arkham Asylum in Gotham City you psycho slut from hell."


"This book was so depressing, this book is not worth recommending to anyone. Just reading about murders sickens me to death. It makes me sick to my stomach. I cannot stand murders and hate books."

No comments:

Post a Comment